This is inside info from a US player that played the Russian open beta, check this out, some of this may not be accurate in the USA release of the post beta we are currently playing~
The following are answers in fact-form for you guys to pour over. He expressed several times that all of this comes with a disclaimer that we do not know what will make it into the North American version. This is what the Russians have to play. He is hoping that gPotato doesn’t screw us all over and change it.
- Individual Astral Ships (6-man). Guild Astral Ships (36-man).
- Ships take two weeks to thirty days to make. Ships are completed by doing daily quests/world mystery quests to gather the parts. You complete the quests and the ship building NPC’s of the shipyard work on it for you. It’s a big investment of time and effort. (We know of the info that says its 100 days)
- “There are permission lists so people can’t jack your boat”.
- Astral ship combat is longer than normal combat. It takes time to hurt a ship enough to board it. This is a not a “wham bam” thing. These are fortified vessels.
- All Astral combat with other ships is in real time. Multiple ships can gang up on you. You can board a ship someone else damaged. It’s a cutthroat place.
- Your boat can be damaged and you need to go back to port to repair — takes time. Have to collect money and parts to repair it. Not like going to a vendor and hitting repair.
- Astral Plane is massive (as big as the game world itself — it’s the space surrounding it). Giant raid bosses attack you randomly as you sail around. You can find dungeons and raid dungeons. It’s open, but there are defined locations you’ll know about.
- Raid and “mini-raid” bosses attack you. Raid bosses are pseudo-instanced but the “mini-raid” bosses are bosses that anyone can sail right up to and fight together.
- Special Chests drop from these bosses that go onto your ship. You have to take these chests back to the port master to have them opened to see what epic loot you got.
- Port Battles take place in the astral plane over these raid boss dungeons. You dock your ship and go in to do the boss. The result is a lot of “port battles”. (heard that there is a crossing point, only SOME ports are contested)
- Astra Plane PvP is FFA. Yes, you can even pirate and attack your own faction. This is why the loot on your ship is at danger! (My understanding is that the ship respawns and you pay fees to repair and loose hours or can do quests to speed the repairs)
- Level 30 you get the quest to make your ship. It is set up so that it takes X days to complete. (level 35 for us)
- Mounts are coming. Obtainable through quests. More of a convenience thing.(as of now only in the cash shops, and one temp mount after doing the "milk" quest.)
- There is a city siege mechanic in the game to attack capital cities. “Somewhat like WAR”. The capital city itself won’t be sieged but some sort of instancing is used to make it so that the city isn’t inaccessible or lost to everyone, but attackable. When I asked about instances, he said “in a round about way”.
- “Epic Lore Raid bosses” are promised. Think “Lich King”. There is definitely a deep lore here that comes from Rage of Mages. READ YOUR QUESTS.
- “End-game” content (24-man raids) are in the game and more are being tested and developed.
- Level 23+ there is world pvp. Once you leave your quest hub you are vulnerable to attack and your flag turns on. Enter your quest hub and you’re safe. This is the only area you are safe in the 23+ zones. The story line begins to evolve and introduce the conflict between the sides. “Expect anything to happen while you level.”( these are contested pvp zones you can enter, or by attacking NPC enemies that are flagged. Goes away on death)
- Control objectives and gain access to a dungeon. When you take over all the objectives your side gets the dungeon, thus taking it away from the other faction. The dungeon remains locked unless your side owns the objectives. It is instanced once you gain control. Think Darkness Falls, but not an open dungeon.
- Class balance lends itself to group/squad oriented play. Individual class balance isn’t a big thing. There isn’t one class to rule them all or one class that sucks. It’s about synergy. Some classes have minor problems but they are simple fixes. “They have done a superb job balancing classes.”
- Crafting is important. Good balance of crafted vs. drops. Equal if not better than drops. It’s good old fashion luck with crafting in this game though. It’s like vegas. You can spend the best mats on something but you’re never guaranteed to get exactly what you want — it’s not completely consistent. There are items to make crafting chances better, but it’s still random. Not the best system by any means. More of a mini-game — a bastardized form of the Free Realms crafting system.
- Cash shop truly is a convenience only thing. Nothing in the cash shop is game breaking, unbalanced, or unachievable in-game. No advantage can be gained from the cash shop.( we know alot goes better with the cash shop items, mounts, incense and the like, but most can be bought for GOLD in game from other players through the AH (auction House)
[Last edited Aug 02, 2010 22:13:59]